Here's a recipe for a fluffy naan you can make using just your stove and oven.
Resting time: 10-15 minutes
1. In a large bowl, add sifted flour, sugar, salt and baking powder and mix together. Then in a jug, mix together the milk and the oil.
2. Make a well in the centre of the flour mixture and slowly pour in the liquid mixture, whilst stirring with the wooden spoon; the flour will absorb all the liquid. Then knead well for 8-10 minutes to make a soft smooth dough. If the dough is too sticky just add a little flour as you are kneading it.
3. Place the dough into an oiled bowl, cover with a damp tea-towel and leave in a warm place to rest for 10-15 minutes. Divide into six equal portions and form into dough balls.
4. On a clean floured surface, roll the dough balls into thin circles and quite thin (3mm to 4mm) – remember, the naan will rise when cooked. If the dough sticks, use a little flour. Scatter some nigella seeds on each naan and press gently into the dough.
5. Heat a non-stick frying pan on a medium heat. Place the naan in the pan and cook for 1 - 2 minutes, then carefully remove from pan and place on a baking tray under a hot grill for another 1-2 minutes or until golden brown. Spread with a little butter and serve hot.
Recipe by Parveen Ashraf
Subscription successful! Thank you for subscribing.