Try a Thai take on this classic by adding some coconut milk, fresh coriander and delicious curried cashews. Serve with some crusty bread.
- Olive oil
- 2 shallots (also known as eschallots or French shallots), finely diced
- 20g ginger (around 2.5cm), peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 heaped Tbsp Thai red curry paste
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp dried coriander
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 butternut pumpkin (about 1kg), peeled and cut into 5cm chunks
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 can (400ml) coconut milk
- Handful coriander leaves and chopped spring onions, to serve
- Sea salt and black pepper
Roasted curry cashews
- 1 cup (130g) cashews, raw
- 1 tsp red curry paste
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 Tbsp shredded coconut
- Sea salt
- In a large pot, heat a drizzle of olive oil, add the shallots and saute on low heat until softened, about 3 minutes. Add the ginger and garlic and cook for another 30-60 seconds. Add the red curry paste, along with the spices and cook, stirring for 1 minute or so, until everything smells fragrant.
- Add the butternut pumpkin and stir to coat in the spices. Next, add the vegetable stock and increase the heat to medium. Allow to simmer, covered, for 20-25 minutes, until the pumpkin is completely soft and falling apart. Check occasionally and lower the heat if needed. Stir in most of the coconut milk, reserving about 2 tablespoons to drizzle over the top for serving. Taste and season well with sea salt and black pepper.
- While the soup is cooking, prepare your cashews. Preheat oven to 160°C and line a baking sheet with baking paper. Combine the cashews with the red curry paste, curry powder and coconut. Stir to combine, lay out on the baking sheet and sprinkle with a little sea salt. Roast for 15 minutes, until nuts are golden. Allow to cool completely.
- Using a handheld stick blender, blender or food processor, puree the soup until very smooth. Ladle the soup into bowls and top with the roasted cashews, coriander leaves, chopped spring onions and a drizzle of the reserved coconut milk. Serve immediately.