Evergreen Cruises & Tours has launched its first Star-Ship outside of Europe, Emerald Harmony, cruising the MekongRiver through Vietnam and Cambodia. Built to European safety standards Emerald Harmony is unique with its innovative design and technology and its strong sustainability focus.
To ensure cruising on board Emerald Harmony is one of the quietest and smoothest possible, key design features have been included:
- All engines, ventilators, generators, have been flexibly mounted to minimise vibrations during sailing
- Additional sound proofing insulation has been used on thesignature Sun Deck, and marine grade panelling has been used throughout the ship to minimise noise transfer between cabins and in public areas.
To maximise ship manoeuvrability, which allows Emerald Harmony access right into the heart of Ho Chi Minh City and other smaller docks, the ship has been fitted with bow thrusters, a double bottom hull, and satellite internet, making her one of a handful vessels on these waters with these unique design features.
In a move set to be replicated across Evergreen’s European fleet, Emerald Harmony will become the first Star-Ship to remove the use of all single-use plastic on board. Initiatives include providing all guests with a complementary metal water bottle to refill from water stations on the Star-Ship, provision of glass water bottles in the cabins, using bamboo and paper straws in the Reflections Restaurant & Horizon Bar, and the miniature bathroom amenities bottles will be replaced with refillable dispensers.
Responsible tourism is an important element of Evergreen’s operations in the region:
- A portion of every stay at the Shinta Mani Siem Reap is contributed to the Shinta Mani Foundation which improves the lives of Cambodians by providing opportunities to overcome poverty through hospitality training, education, healthcare, building wells, and micro-loans to assist the growth of small business.
- Visit to KOTO Restaurant, Hanoi “Know One, Teach One” – KOTOs purpose is to the end the cycle of poverty by empowering and helping youth forge a better future for themselves and has trained over 700 students in Hanoi and Saigon in hospitality skills.
- Visit to Reaching Out, Hoi An – providing opportunities to people of disability to learn skills and gain meaningful employment so they can lead independent and fulfilling lives. Reaching Out is a locally owned, sustainable and fair-trade business specialising in unique, handmade goods such as jewellery, home décor, pottery etc.
Emerald Harmony is the river cruise operator’s eighth Star-Ship, and the first to operate outside of Europe. Its sister Star-Ships currently sail a range of cruises along the Rhône, Douro, Rhine and Danube rivers with visits to Bulgaria, France, Portugal, Romania, Serbia, Spain and Switzerland.
Subscription successful! Thank you for subscribing.