To celebrate the much anticipated arrival of the 8th and final ever season of Game of Thrones, Flybe has unveiled the top 19 most popular filming locations to appear in the series. Through the magic of Instagram and some very clever hashtag analysis, Flybe has fans itching to visit some of the series' most iconic filming locations, such as The Iron Islands, Winterfell Castle and of course, Kingsroad!
The top locations were identified by analysing the number of hashtags at GoT filming locations across Northern Ireland. This data was then used to create the top 19 locations and thanks to Flybe's interactive map, GoT super-fans can now visit the location of some of the show's biggest highlights in person.
Top 19 most popular GoT locations according to Instagram
1. The Dark Hedges, GoT Location Kingsroad
2. Carrick-a-Rede, GoT Location Pyke
3. Dunluce Castle, GoT Location The Iron Islands
4. Ballintoy Harbor, GoT Location The Iron Islands
5. Castle Ward, GoT Location Winterfell Castle
6. Tollymore Forest Park, GoT Location The Haunted Forest
7. Glenariff, GoT Location Runestone
8. Portstewart Strand, GoT Location Coast of Dorne
9. Murlough Bay, GoT Location Slaver's Bay
10. Binevenagh, GoT Location Dothraki Grasslands
11. Cushendun Caves, GoT Location The Stormlands
12. Shane's Castle, GoT Location King's Landing
13. Larrybane Quarry, GoT Location Renly Baratheon's Camp
14. Konckdhu, GoT Location North of Winterfell
15. Inch Abbey, GoT Location Robb Stark's Camp
16. Downhill Beach, GoT Location Dragonstone Beach
17. River Quoile, GoT Location Riverrun
18. Pollnagollum Cave, GoT Location Beric Dondarrion's Hideout
19. Shillanavogy Valley, GoT Location Land of Dothraki
Flybe's Danielle Agtani commented: “Game of Thrones has proved to be one of the biggest screen successes in memory, with HBO claiming that the opening of season 8 attracted an unbelievable 17.4 million viewers! Flybe have for a long time provided a cost effective and convenient way to visit the beautiful Northern Irish countryside, so we thought we'd celebrate the launch of the new series by analysing Instagram hashtags to help the UK's super-fans immerse themselves even more, by visiting scenes from the show's biggest twists and turns.
“By using the interactive map we've created, fans can quickly see where particular scenes of the show were filmed and plan their trip to get as much 'Game of Thrones' time as they can handle. Virtually all of the Northern Ireland locations are reached via Belfast City Airport, which Flybe currently fly to from 15 UK airports.”
Subscription successful! Thank you for subscribing.