With unbeatable views over Lemon Bay, Crêperie Le Rocher offers a true taste of life in New Caledonia capital, Noumea. Here, chef MADAME MARCELLINE WADRIAKO offers a sample of its extensive menu of sweet and savoury crepes.
Le Rocher - Creperie © Toko NCTPS-Nouméa
Serves: 6 (approximately 12 crepes)
- 500g buckwheat flour
- 7g salt
- 500mL water
- Salted butter (for cooking)
- 12 eggs (allowing for one egg per crepe)
- 24 slices of ham (allowing for two slices per crepe)
- 600g grated Emmental cheese (allowing for 50g per crepe)
- In a large bowl, mix together the buckwheat flour and salt. Add the water little by little, stirring constantly, until the mixture is smooth. Cover and refrigerate for two hours until the mixture is slightly elastic in texture
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan on high. Once very hot, grease the pan with the salted butter, then pour in a ladle of the crepe mixture. Tilt the pan to spread the mixture evenly across the base, in a thin layer
- Cook the crepe mixture on one side for approximately three minutes. Once it is slightly golden, flip the crepe and garnish it with the egg, ham and cheese – pour the cracked egg into its centre, arrange the ham around it then layer over the cheese
- Cook the egg until the whites turn opaque (the yolk can be runny, depending on preference) and the cheese has melted. Once ready, slide the crepe onto a plate
- To serve, fold each side of the crepe ever so slightly into the middle. And voila, bon appetit!
For more information on New Caledonia, visit newcaledonia.travel.
Subscription successful! Thank you for subscribing.