Western Australia’s picturesque and rugged beauty was made to be explored by car, with mobility and a sense of adventure.
In anything from a few days to a few weeks, a road trip in WA will take your clients to some of the world’s most pristine and cleanest coastlines, into the heart of premium wine country and through spectacular gorges and the outback, making for an unforgettable experience.
ROAD TRIP IN FOCUS: Indian Ocean Drive and Kalbarri
Take a colour-filled road trip along the Indian Ocean Drive to Geraldton and onwards to Kalbarri, where yellow moonscapes and wildflower blooms meet Indian Ocean blues and golden sunsets.
BEST TIME: Year round (August to October coincides with wildflowers).
LEG 1: PERTH TO CERVANTES (200KM) - 2HRS 10MIN
• Heading north from Perth, the drive to Yanchep National Park takes less than an hour. Take one of nine walk trails to meet the resident wildlife, including kangaroos and a koala colony.
• Join the Indian Ocean Drive north of Yanchep and head for Lancelin, where the stark white of Western Australia’s largest sand dunes creates a striking contrast against the blues of the Indian Ocean.
• Stop at Nambung National Park, home to the Pinnacles. Walk or drive through the thousands of limestone spires formed over millions of years. The Pinnacles Desert Discovery Centre explains its mysteries, history and habitats.
• The Lobster Shack in Cervantes is the ultimate seafood experience, with crayfish factory tours and delicious seafood in the newly redeveloped beachfront restaurant. Seasonal boat tours to collect the lobster pots are also available.
LEG 2: CERVANTES TO JURIEN BAY AND DONGARA (158KM) - 1HR 45MIN
• Stop at Molah Hill and Grigson’s Lookouts for panoramic views of native bushlands set against Indian Ocean backdrops. It’s especially dazzling in spring, when Lesueur National Park is filled with the blooms of more than 900 wildflower species.
• Jump aboard a sea lion charter in Jurien Bay Marine Park to meet some of Australia’s rarest and most playful marine life, or skydive out of a plane and onto the beach.
• In Dongara, visit the new distillery and taste award-winning rum, aged in barrels sourced from Margaret River wineries.
LEG 3: DONGARA TO GERALDTON (66KM) - 45MIN
• Perfect wind and swell conditions make Geraldton Australia’s windsurfing capital. You can watch the pros in action or test your own skills. A visit to the more protected Geraldton Foreshore with its calm beaches, café and shopping culture is also a must.
• Take in panoramic Indian Ocean sunset views from the HMAS Sydney II Memorial.
• Fish, dive, snorkel or take a scenic flight over 122 coral-fringed islands of the Abrolhos, as well as the region’s iconic pink lake, Hutt Lagoon.
LEG 4: GERALDTON TO KALBARRI (155KM) - 1HR 45MIN
• Pull up alongside Hutt Lagoon, famous for its pink shade.
• Explore 400-million-year-old river gorges, dramatic coastal rock formations and dazzling spring wildflower displays in Kalbarri National Park.
• From the town, go river cruising, beach fishing, deep sea fishing, bushwalking, kayaking, abseiling, rock climbing, horse riding, or just take in the view from the park lookouts, including iconic Nature’s Window.
LEG 5: KALBARRI TO PERTH (568KM) - 6HRS
• Retrace your tracks back to Perth.
• Between July and October it’s worth taking the detour inland to the wildflower hotspots of Mullewa, Three Springs and Carnamah.