Subscribe to Newsletter

All clear given after Sydney hotel gas leak


Guests of a Sydney hotel complained of eye and airway irritation after fumes spread through the ventilation system when hydrochloric acid was mistakenly mixed with chlorine.

 

The Pullman’s rooftop pool. Image: Facebook

 

“At approximately 9am today Pullman Sydney Hyde Park staff were conducting maintenance to the pool on the roof of the property,” an emailed statement from the hotel read.

 

“The dosage of the pool chemicals was incorrect, leading to a non-toxic irritant gas being emitted and entering the adjacent air intake.  This resulted in some areas at the top of the hotel being evacuated.”

 

According to NSW Fire and Rescue duty commander Charles Begley, "If you're exposed directly to [the gases]long term, it can be quite serious for your respiratory system”, the ABC reported.

 

NSW Ambulance told the ABC that 30 patients were treated at the scene and eight were taken to hospital.

 

One guest from Brisbane, who asked to remain anonymous, said there was a chemical smell throughout the hotel.

 

"Everybody [was] coughing," he said.

 

"[It] was stinging."

 

NSW Ambulance confirmed two guests, four permanent staff and two contract staff exposed to the irritant were taken to hospital as a precautionary measure. As at 3pm today, all guests have been discharged and one permanent staff member is still being assessed by doctors.

 

“The health and safety of our guests and employees is paramount and the property has since been tested by NSW Fire Brigade and deemed safe,” the hotel advised.

 


Written by: Gaya Avery
Published: 19 September 2018

comments powered by Disqus