Originally described by a provincial governor, government spokesman and police as a military trainer, it has been revealed an Australian killed in Cambodia last week was in fact a tourist.
According to various sources, the Australian man lost his life in an explosion at a shooting range, and wasn't part of an official military training operation as claimed by Cambodian authorities, the ABC reported.
A Cambodian in his 50s was also killed in the incident, which occurred at around 1.30pm last Thursday, while another Aussie and two more Cambodians were injured.
"It's a cover-up by the RCAFF (Royal Cambodian Armed Forces)", a source with knowledge of the incident told the ABC.
According to the broadcaster, the Department of Defence confirmed that no ADF personnel were involved in the accident.
It is understood that soldiers at the Kampong Speu Armoured Headquarters, where events took place, were told to keep quiet on the matter as foreigners weren’t permitted on to the range to fire weapons.
However, the venue is apparently well known among tourists who pay to shoot AK47 guns and handle grenades.
Promotional videos show visitors throwing grenades at propane tanks to create explosions at the range.
Other shooting ranges in Cambodia reputedly exist near Phnom Penh airport and in Siem Reap.
Subscription successful! Thank you for subscribing.