With so much coastline to comb over, picking the top beach in Australia would be akin to choosing the best castle in Europe or best burger joint in America. So the honour of being named Best Beach in TripAdvisor’s Travellers’ Choice Awards, should be a big one.
This year, for the second straight time, northern Sydney’s Manly has been deemed Australia’s greatest beach, beating off some stiff competition mostly from Queensland and Western Australia.
One of the first beaches to allow daylight swimming and surfing in 1903, Manly edged Surfer’s Paradise (QLD) and the list’s big improver, Turquoise Bay (WA) to the top spot.
Following these were the Sunshine Coast’s Mooloolaba Beach and perennial favourite, Whitsunday’s Whitehaven Beach.
Australia’s most internationally recognised beach, Bondi, finished in sixth place on the list followed by Noosa Main Beach, Burleigh Heads, Broome’s Cable Beach, and surprise inclusion, Mindil Beach in Darwin.
“Australians love the sun and the surf, and every beach on this year’s list has something for everyone - from sunbathing to sunset walks, swimming, surfing, and even camel trains,” TripAdvisor Asia Pacific communications director Janice Lee Fang said.
The honour for the world’s best beach went to Baia do Sancho (Brazil).
Top 10 Travellers’ Choice Beaches in the World:
1. Baia do Sancho – Fernando de Noronha, Brazil
2. Varadero Beach – Varadero, Cuba
3. Eagle Beach – Palm - Eagle Beach, Aruba
4. La Concha Beach – San Sebastian – Donostia, Spain
5. Grace Bay Beach – Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
6. Clearwater Beach – Clearwater, Florida
7. Spiaggia dei Conigli – Sicily, Italy
8. Seven Mile Beach – Seven Mile Beach, Cayman Islands
9. Playa Norte – Isla Mujeres, Mexico
10. Seven Mile Beach – Negril, Jamaica
With 352 beaches examined globally, award winners were determined based on “the quantity and quality of traveller reviews and ratings for beaches on TripAdvisor, gathered over a 12-month period”.
To see the complete lists, click here.
What would be your picks for Australia’s and the world’s best beaches?
Subscription successful! Thank you for subscribing.