Authorities detected gas “in excess of safe operating levels” onboard a party boat, in which a woman died during a Sydney Harbour cruise.
The victim, a 39 year-old woman from Sydney’s northern suburbs, had been attending a birthday party along with around 100 other people when she was found unconscious in a toilet cubicle on the vessel.
"Investigators were advised that several gas detection tests were conducted in a bathroom area of the vessel and were found to be in excess of safe operating levels," NSW Police said in a statement.
According to the ABC, initial reports that other passengers had been overcome by fumes were found to be false by firefighters, who checked the vessel for noxious material.
Paramedics were called to a marina at Balmain at around 4pm on Saturday, but after 20 minutes of attempted resuscitation, the woman was unable to be revived.
The boat, owned by charter company, All Occasion Cruises, will be "tested under different conditions in a case a leak was not detected before", a NSW Fire and Rescue spokesman said.
Subscription successful! Thank you for subscribing.